Pages

3/31/10

New LightsoverLA + Interview



LightsoverLA, the rapidly trending electronic outfit that actually hails from Phoenix, have recently spent the past week or so occupying the top spot on Hypem for their remix of Two Door Cinema Club’s What You Know. As everyone starts to discover LightsoverLA and their insane remixes, we recently had a chance to ask them some questions, and since they’re such awesome dudes they responded to every single one AND sent over a dark and ravey new remix of Miike Snow. Click after the break for the interview and some extra LightsoverLA remixes at the end.




1. You're from Phoenix. How'd you come up with your name?

Actually, it was gonna be Lights Over Phoenix but a few years back we had some UFO type thing go down, and didn't really wanna sound like a bunch of UFO nerds. Los Angeles has always been one of my favorite cities when I go on tour so it just kinda fit. Sooner or later I want to move to LA and then the name might make a little more sense.


2. What shift in the cosmos brought forth the genius that is LightsoverLA?

Basically I was in a really lame living situation and was going through a hard time. I downloaded a trial version of Ableton and just started messing with stuff. I had played in metal bands since I was young, but got tired of the whole "band" thing and had always loved electronic music. I really nerded out hard on the production to keep my mind off all the lame stuff in my life at the time. I guess you could say it was my way of coping with things.


3. How do you prepare yourselves(self) to get into music-making mode?

I don't have a certain ritual or anything; I think I just know when I am gonna have a good writing day. Sometimes I will go days without writing anything cool and then somedays I have a ton of awesome ideas. I have literally hundreds of files of random ideas that I will probably never use.


4. What's a favorite non-electro song you're listening to at the moment?

I love Paramore's latest record, I am a huge fan of that band. The latest A Fine Frenzy is also really good. I really love female fronted bands.


5. What equipment do you use in your live set up? What do you record on?

I use Ableton for live shows and producing. I really like how fast you can put ideas out on Ableton and the endless amount of effects and automation you can do.


6. Number one dance party track you have in your repertoire that you know you can guarantee kids will go crazy for?

Everyone always loves Deadmau5 tracks, that dude is just on point when it comes to production.


7. Not many people have the knack for music mastery like LightsoverLA has. Whats the best experience from the music world so far?

Touring is the best thing about playing music in my opinion. I love the writing process but one of the main reasons I write music is to go on tour and travel.


8. Which way do you open a banana? Were you aware there's more than one way to open a banana?

I usually pull down from the top. I was not aware there is more then one way but I am currently googling that now.

[Editor's Note-Here's another way to peel a banana]


9. Alright, so you get an unlimited budget for the show of your life. Whats the ideal concert setting?

Basically the most insane light show ever seen..It would be so intense you could see it from space. Or something totally ridiculous like the Dethklok concert where they watch money "commit suicide".


10. If you weren't throwing down remixes and dance floor bangers, what would you be doing with your time?

I have always wanted to fly planes so I think I would try to get my pilots license or something.


11. Name your favorite song on Daft Punk's "Discovery".

Short Circuit


12. So you are currently on the rise, you had a well-deserved number 1 spot on Hype Machine for a while. What's up next from you guys?

We are working on a couple bootleg remixes as well as some official remixes that will be out in the coming months. We are also writing an EP that we plan on releasing by ourselves. Also, we are starting to book some tours and hope to be touring full time very soon.



13. If you were to choke a Smurf, what color do you think he would turn?

I think the thought of choking a Smurf just kinda makes me sad but I think he would turn a weird purple. Wouldn't it be crazy if he turned, like, orange or something?


There ya have it, the smurf-loving, would-be pilot known as LightsoverLA. Check out his BRAND NEW remix of Miike Snow and download these other tracks and get your party started!

Miike Snow- Billie Holliday (LightsoverLA Remix)

Delphic - This Momentary (LightsoverLA Remix)

Wolfgang Gartner - Push And Rise (LightsoverLA Remix)


Become a fan of LightsoverLA on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment